HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Super Food Glowing Green Smoothie Recipe

I have very specific preferences for breakfast foods.  I've always been this way, not sure why.  For example, I am not a cold-pizza-for-breakfast kind of girl.  I can barely even stomach eggs before 10am.  I pretty much only eat cereal, granola bars, fruit, pancakes or waffles.  However, for the most part these aren't exactly the best way to start the day.  So when my BFF offered to bring me a Green Smoothie the other morning I was willing to give it a try.


The smoothie is called the Glowing Green Smoothie and that is an appropriate name.  This drink was a bright glowing green!  It was cold and a bit icy and very healthy tasting.  Not unpleasant, just healthy.  It tasted even healthier once she informed me of the ingredients.  Then all I could taste was the romaine and celery, ha!  I drank the entire thing and I must say I felt a lot better than I do after my usual iced-coffee/granola bar combo.  I may tweak some of the ingredients a bit but I plan on trying to add (healthy) smoothies to my morning routine soon!

Glowing Green Smoothie (from The Beauty Detox Solution by Kimberly Snyder)

Ingredients 
1 1/2 cups water
1 head organic romaine lettuce, chopped
1/2 head large bunch or 3/4 small bunch organic spinach
3-4 stalks of celery
1 organic apple, cored & chopped
1 organic pear, cored & chopped
1 organic banana
Juice of 1/2 organic lemon
*Optional:
1/3 bunch organic cilantro (stems ok)
1/3 bunch organic parsley (stems ok)

Directions
1. Add the water and chopped head of romaine and spinach to the blender. Starting the blender on a low speed, mix until smooth. Gradually moving to higher speeds, add the celery, apple & pear.
2. Add the cilantro & parsley if you choose. Add the banana and lemon juice last.

The Glowing Green Smoothie is best when cold. It also shouldn't be chunky at all, but nice & smooth. It keeps ok covered in the fridge for up to 2 days.   You can substitute out the apple or pear for in-season fruit such as pineapple, mango, plum or peach.  Berries are another option but when mixed with the green veggies they will turn the smoothie an unappetizing brown.

Tip: Make the entire batch and freeze individual portions in mason jars (oh-so-trendy and easy right now).  Then the night before you take out a jar and keep in in the refrigerator.  By the morning it is just right!  My friend makes a big batch of 3 blender fulls.  This fills up her freezer for the whole week!

Thanks to my BFF Anne for the smoothie, recipe and tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment