HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Homemade baby teething biscuits



Last night I decided to try my hand at giving my 6-toothed-baby something else to chew on while we're eating dinner.  So I made banana pear teething biscuits.  The recipe was easy and they smelled amazing while baking.  In fact the recipe was easy enough that my four year old was able to help.

However, after the baking time finished they still seemed a bit gooey in the back so I ended up baking them for a bit longer.  Today the baby tried them out and judging by her intense expression of focus I think she likes them!


  • one ripe banana
  • one ripe pear
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 cup brown rice flour 
  • 1/2 cup baby brown rice cereal
  1. Preheat the oven to 350
  2. Peal, core and slice up pear.  Peal and slice up banana.  Toss fruit into blender and add water.  Blend until it's in a liquid form.
  3. Pour the fruit mixture into a medium mixing bowl.  Add the brown rice flour and brown rice cereal.  Stir until well mixed.  It will resemble cookie dough (but trust me, it's not the same if you dare to taste, ha!).  Add a little more flour if you need to.
  4. Scoop the dough onto a cookie sheet and make the shape of a biscuit.  I used a knife to help me shape and flatten the dough.
  5. Bake for 45 minutes or until dough is golden and the back isn't gooey.  Cool and store uncovered for a week.


I like that this recipe uses baby food cereal, since we had HAPPYBABY HappyBellies organic brown rice at home.  I'd like to try a few different recipes, perhaps one with vegetables instead of or in addition to fruit.  I'll let you know what I find.

24 comments:

  1. How hard was this cookie? I ask cause my little man seems to like breaking off pieces, which scares me into thinking he's going to choke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, well my cookies turned out pretty hard, but got more brittle after a few days. At that point I'd toss them.

      My little one would mostly suck/chew on them but sometimes pieces would break off (especially when it dropped on the floor), but we never had issues with choking.

      Perhaps try baking them for a little bit less?

      Delete
  2. I can feed this to my dog as well and maybe I can eat them with my dog haha~

    THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha that's hilarious. I can agree though, my dogs had a few bites here and there when the biscuits dropped on the floor!

      Delete
  3. Do you make up the rice cereal as if you're feeding it to a child? Or just add the cereal powder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question Candy, no I didn't make the cereal (by adding water) I just used the cereal as a powder.

      Delete
  4. Do you think this recipe will work with oat flour and cereal? My little guy is allergic to rice :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would work as a substitution but I've never tried. Let me know if it works for you!

      Delete
  5. Is there anything I can substitute the rice cereal with? I desperately want to make these

    ReplyDelete