HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Monday, February 6, 2012

Southwest Chicken Tortilla Soup

We didn't watch the super bowl yesterday but I celebrated anyway by making a Soup-er bowl of soup. Ha.  No but seriously, this soup is amazing.  I made it in the crock pot and it only took about 10 minutes of prep to get started.


Ingredients
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • 2 cans (or one 28oz box) of diced tomatoes
  • 2 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 14oz of frozen corn
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 cups of chicken broth
  • 2 cups of water
  • 1 Tbsp garlic powder
  • 1 Tbsp chili powder
  • 1 Tbsp ground cumin
  • *1 Tbsp dried or fresh cilantro (optional)
  • *1/2 Tbsp jalapeno spices (optional)
  • tortilla chips
  • sour cream
  • shredded cheddar or blend cheese

Directions
  1. Put chopped onion, beans, tomatoes, corn, chicken broth, water and spices in the crock pot and stir to mix.
  2. Put chicken breasts on top of mixture and make sure they're partly submerged in the liquid.
  3. Cook on high for 6-7 hours or on low for 8-9.
  4. Before serving break up and shred the chicken breasts if needed.
  5. Serve with a few tortilla chips broken up on the top of the bowl, top with cheese and a spoon full (or more) of sour cream.
I used Veggie and Flax Seed Tortilla chips  from Trader Joe's.  They are not only a healthy choice but they taste great and look pretty too.  Let me know what you think if you try this one.

23 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. So glad you like it. It's a favorite in my family.

      Delete
  2. This sounds amazing I think I will put all this together in the crockpot today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing, let me know what your family thinks!

      Delete
  3. I made this but did it on top of the stove instead. I didn't have much time to make it so I cooked the chicken breasts, shredded them, and added it to soup. Very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, how long did you cook it all together? Great to have a quicker option.

      Delete
  4. I used this recipe today, but I made it vegetarian (no chicken and used veggie stock instead). It came out a bit bland, so I ended up adding some extra spices (extra chili powder, extra cumin, a bit of paprika and oregano) and leaving it in the slow cooker for 9 hours total. I definitely like things spicy, so I would recommend adding the extra spices for anyone else with similar tastes. Overall great recipe, can't wait to make again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback. Yes, this recipe is more on the mild-medium side unless you add more spices. Glad to hear you found a way to make it fit for your family!

      Delete
  5. I use 2 cans of Rotel in place of the tomatoes and that is the only thing I have changed--we think it is fantanstic! I love to put this in the crock pot in the morning and come home to supper cooked and the house smelling wonderful that evening. Thanks for a simple and healthy dinner option.

    ReplyDelete