HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Monday, January 30, 2012

10 uses for Baking Soda

Did you know that baking soda can be used for a lot more than just baking?  A few years ago I read about some of the many other ways to use baking soda around the house.  We now have a HUGE (13.5 pound) bag in the laundry room that we bought at Costco and we use it everyday.  

Here are the top 5 ways we use baking soda at our house:
  1. Face wash - I have used only baking soda to "wash" my face for years now.  I keep a container of it in my shower and bathroom.  I make a paste with the soda and some water and rub it on my face.  It is a light exfoliator and it makes my skin feel amazing and clean.  No soap for me!
  2. Diaper pail deodorizer - If my diaper pail gets a bit stinky in-between wash days I sprinkle a bit in the top.
  3. Laundry booster - From time to time I put a 1/2 a scoop of baking soda in the pre-wash section of my front loader.
  4. Clarify Hair- From time to time I mix some baking soda with my shampoo and rub through my hair.  This removes shampoo buildup and I think it brightens my blond a bit too.
  5. Surface cleaner - It is a great non-toxic scrub.  Just put a bit on a sponge and wipe away.  
Here are 5 more ways to use baking soda:
  1. Clean coffee and tea pots - Remove stains by washing mugs and coffee makers in a solution of 1/4 cup baking soda in 1 quart of warm water.  If the stains are stubborn try soaking overnight in the baking soda solution.
  2. Deodorize the garbage disposal - To keep smells at bay pour baking soda down the drain while running warm tap water.  The baking soda will neutralize both acid and basic odors for a fresh drain.
  3. Toothpaste - Put baking soda on a toothbrush and voila, toothpaste!  A natural way to freshen your mouth and clean your teeth.
  4. Deodorant - I haven't tried this one yet but I've read that if you mix 4 tablespoons of baking soda with 10 drops of your favorite essential oil and apply it to your underarms it works to keep smells away.  
  5. Antacid - Mix one teaspoon into a glass of warm water and drink.  It relieves heartburn, gas and other tummy upsets.  
Just a side note, I use a different baking soda for my face wash and for anything that touches my skin (or that I ingest).  I use Red Mill aluminum free baking soda as I try to limit the amount of aluminum I am exposed to.  I usually buy it in bulk from amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment