HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Monday, April 1, 2013

Puffy Pancakes Recipe

Have you tried Puffy Pancakes before?  You may also know them as Dutch Babies or German Pancakes.  When I was growing up they were called Papa's Colossal Pancakes in my house.  My dad would make them on weekends and we'd put lots of powdered sugar (from a Tupperware sugar mill) and lemon juice on them.  I remember the Tupperware mill breaking all the time (bottom coming off) and powdered sugar spilling all over my plate.  Ah memories.

This recipe is a bit easier than the one my dad used to make because it only takes a glass pie dish, no big heavy oven skillet required.  I made this Easter morning and the prep was simple although the outcome is quite impressive in its puffiness.  My 5 year old loved it!  You can serve slices with berries, jam or just powdered sugar and lemon juice (my favorite).  They sink down a bit after you remove them from the oven, like a souffle.



Puffy Pancakes Recipe
Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter 
2 eggs 
1/2 cup all-purpose flour 
1/2 cup milk 
1/4 teaspoon salt 
*toppings: powdered sugar, lemon juice and berries

Directions
1. Heat oven to 400°F.  While it is preheating put butter in 9-inch glass pie plate inside the oven to melt.  
2. In medium bowl, beat eggs slightly with wire whisk or hand beater. Beat in flour, milk and salt just until mixed (do not over beat). 
3. By now the butter should have melted, move it around the pie plate (or use a brush) so that the butter covers the sides.  Then pour the batter into pie plate. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until puffy and deep golden brown. Serve pancake immediately with toppings.  Serves 2-3.


1 comment: