HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Turmeric Antioxidant Smoothie

Now that we're back to school its a great time to get back to smoothies!  Smoothies are such an easy way to pack in nutrients during busy mornings.  I saw this recipe pop up on my Facebook feed last week and decided to give it a whirl.  I bought a bottle of turmeric (ground) a few months back after reading about all its health benefits.  However, it pretty much has sat untouched in my spice cabinet since I don't cook Indian recipes very often.  This recipe is a simple and yummy way to get the benefits from turmeric without a lot of effort!

In case you haven't heard turmeric is part of the ginger family (rhizomatous herbaceous perennial plant) and it is an anti-inflammatory, antioxidant that helps brain function, can help prevent and treat Alzheimer's, lowers heart disease and helps treat depression.  Sounds good to me!  Now of course one Turmeric smoothie a day isn't going to do all that but it's a start. 

Turmeric Antioxidant Smoothie
Ingredients
1 cup coconut milk (I used Silk Almond Coconut Unsweetened milk)
1/2 cup frozen pineapple or mango chunks (I used both)
1 fresh banana 
1 tablespoon coconut oil 
1/2 teaspoon turmeric (can be increased to 1 tsp) 
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 
1/2 teaspoon ginger 
1 teaspoon chia seeds 
1 teaspoon maca (optional) 

Add all ingredients into a Vitamix (or blender) and blend until smooth.  This is a great way to start your day full of antioxidants!


No comments:

Post a Comment