HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Easy Peasy Shepherd's Pie

A couple weeks ago we went to a local hot-spot restaurant on date-night that is known for their Shepherd's Pie.  Unfortunately despite the rave reviews I was underwhelmed with my dinner.  So the following week I decided to make my own at home!  I only had ground beef but the result was better!  My family agreed. :)



Easy Peasy Shepherd's Pie 
Ingredients
8 red new potatoes
2 tablespoons butter, melted
salt and pepper
1 lb ground beef
1.5 cups diced onion
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups low-sodium beef broth
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup frozen peas & 1 cup frozen carrots (or 2 cups of mixed veggies)

Directions
1. Rinse and cut potatoes into bite-sized chunks and toss with melted butter, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Cover and microwave for 7 minutes or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, cook the meat and onion in an oven safe skillet over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain if needed and return to skillet. Stir in the flour until mixed, about 1 minute. Add the broth and Worcestershire and cook until thickened, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in peas and carrots (or mixed veggies) and simmer until heated through, about 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, about 1/2 teaspoon each.
3. Scatter the cooked potatoes over the meat and broil until golden brown, about 5-8 minutes.  Note: I didn't have an oven safe skillet so I moved my ingredients to a baking pan for broiling.

We may not be a 5-star restaurant but this dish was not too shabby for home cooking. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment