HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Have you maintained your Keurig lately?

I have had my oh-so-loved and very used Keurig B70 Platinum Brewing System for 5 glorious months now.  Let me tell you that receiving it (best birthday present ever!!) was very timely as I upped my caffeine intake quite a bit since baby #2 who happens to be sleep-challenged.  Our recent addition of an adorable but sleep-challenged puppy didn't exactly help.

This week I had a friend visit who reminded me that my Keurig needs maintenance.  I had forgotten and decided to show my Keurig some love by descaling it.  Descaling helps remove mineral build up which keeps it from breaking prematurely.  If you live in an area with very hard water like I do then it is especially important.

Does this look familiar?  It's the welcome packet that came with your glorious coffee machine.  It has instructions for the descaling process.  Fortunately it was easy, although a tiny bit time consuming to make my machine as good as new.

Descaling only requires time, water and a whole-lot-of white vinegar (I recommend the gigantic and cheap Costco bottle).  Make sure to start this process after your morning cup(s) of coffee as it will take 4 hours to complete.

Descaling Instructions
Step 1: Pour 72 oz of white vinegar into the water reservoir.
Step 2: Place a 10 oz mug on the drip tray plate.
Step 3: Lift and lower the brewer handle (don't add a k-cup pack unless you enjoy vinegar flavored coffee, ha!)
Step 4: Select a 8oz cup side and press BREW.  Empty the contents into the sink.  Repeat until "add water" shows on the indicator.
Let the Brewer stand with power on for 4 hours.  Then empty the reservoir, fill with cold water and repeat steps 2 through 4 (I did this twice just to be sure we were vinegar-free).  

Keurig recommends descaling every 3-6 months.  I recommend making a note of the date you descale on your directions.  If you don't have your booklet anymore put it on a sticky note and place it on the back or side of your machine.  You could also put reminders to descale on your calender.

Now go love your Keurig so that it can keep loving you!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the information on descaling my keurig machine . Mine was a gift too. 😍 I still have my book but never looked at it for a while now .
    THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete