HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Crock Pot Chili (from dried beans) Recipe

Ah, I love this time of year.  It's crock-pot season!  Bring on the soups, stews and now chili.  I don't make chili very often, mostly because it is hard to find a recipe that my "selective" (aka choosy) husband will like.  I decided to give this recipe a go when I read it on my friend's blog: willworkforeskimokisses.blogspot.com

However, I had to make a few adjustments as my family prefers our chili more soup-like than stew-like.  The good news is that the chili was both simple and it was a success.  My favorite combination!


Crock Pot Chili with Dried Black and Pinto Beans
Ingredients 
6 oz dried pinto beans
6 oz dried black beans
3 tbsp tomato paste
2 14.5 oz cans Diced Tomatoes
2 medium onions, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped (I used a red pepper)
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 1/2 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp salt
1 cup water
2-3 cups beef broth
1 lb ground beef
1-2 dried chilies, whole (optional)

Directions
1. Soak beans overnight by covering with a few inches off water in a large bowl or pot. The next morning drain water and rinse beans before placing in crock pot.
2. Brown beef, breaking it up as it cooks until cooked through. Add along with all the other ingredients (except the broth) to crock pot. Cook for 8-10 hours.  I added the beef broth about 30 minutes before serving to keep it from being so thick.

I served my chili over brown rice with shredded cheese and a little sour cream.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! I love that you served it over rice, I need to try that.

    ReplyDelete