HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Instant Pot Roast Chicken (and Broth) Recipe

I did something that felt brave with my IP this week; I cooked an ENTIRE chicken at once.  My chicken was only 5 lbs but I was afraid that it wouldn't fit in my IP but miraculously not only did the chicken fit in there but a bunch of vegetables, water and even the IP rack.  A-mazing.

Now, about this chicken.  It turned out moist, delicious and perfectly cooked.  It required little preparation and a huge bonus was that it made 4 cups of chicken broth to use another time.  Woot woot!

I separated the chicken from the bones and kept 1/2 to use now froze the other 1/2.  The next day I cut up chicken into small pieces and added walnuts, mayo and dried cranberries.  My big girl and I had it for lunch on toast - Yummy!!

So if you have an IP and have been reluctant to cook a chicken wait no more!  Use this recipe, you won't be disappointed.

IP Roast Chicken

Ingredients
4-6 lb whole organic chicken
3 celery stalks - chopped
2 carrots - chopped
1 onion - chopped
2-3 cups of water
Seasoning Salt
Garlic Salt
Salt & Pepper

Directions

1. Place celery, carrots and onion in the bottom of the IP.  Put the rack on top and add 2-3 cups of water.
2. Season chicken with seasoning salt, garlic salt and any other preferred dried herbs (ie: rosemary, thyme, etc).  Place the chicken on top of the rack and add salt and pepper.
3. Place the IP on the MEAT setting and adjust the time down to 25 minutes.
4. Once the 25 minutes are up let the pressure naturally release for another 25 minutes.  (*If you cut it short and open the valve early the meat will be less moist!).
5. Remove the chicken and take off the meat from the bones.  Strain the broth into a mason jar to use later!  Enjoy!
*Those chicken bones could then be added back to the IP to make Bone Broth, but I'm not *that* brave yet so I don't have a recipe for you.  Ha!



No comments:

Post a Comment