HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Friday, July 13, 2012

Fisher Price Fridays - Merry-Go-Round



Welcome to Fisher Price Fridays.  Today I am happy to share the Play Family Merry-Go-Round #111.  This sweet little set was made between 1972-1977.  It has a masonite (wood composite) base and a plastic top.  The merry-go-round was a follow up to the very popular #969 Ferris Wheel which started in 1969.  The merry-go-round is a simple set, just the base and 4 little people.  It plays "The Skaters Waltz".

There is a cranky boy in charge of running the merry-go-round.  He is permanently attached and moves up and down as the merry-go-round goes around.

There are a few variations to this set.  It can have either a turquoise base (pictured) or a dark blue one.  Also in some sets the boy cranking the ride is made out of wood.

The merry-go-round can hold four riders on a giraffe, turtle, pig and swan.  The original set came with four little people.  The red girl with blond hair and "fancy" eyes in my photos is the only original one.  I don't have the other three (yet, ha!).

There are colorful lithographs on each side of the carousel as well as the base.  The front shows a older lady taking tickets and here in the back you can see the back of her head (she has a grey bun).  Also that cute little naughty black dog is stealing some tickets. 

This set is just the cutest.  Both of my girls LOVE it and so we hear the sweet music playing frequently.  

4 comments:

  1. What an adorable set! I have never seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun one. They also have a ferris wheel that I would love to have. And another merry-go-round that also plays records.

      Delete
  2. I want one! I wonder why that boy is so grumpy!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe he wants a day off. :) I have one for sale in my Etsy store http://www.etsy.com/shop/VintageLittlePeople?ref=si_shop if you need one. ;)

      Delete