HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Saturday, July 21, 2012

We love Little Golden Books.


You may have noticed that I have a thing for vintage and collectibles.  I have one foot firmly in the modern world, but I keep a few toes back in the past.  My family eats off of vintage (and new) fiesta ware and Taylor Smith Boutonniere.  I cook and bake using my grandmother's old pyrex bowls.  My kids occasionally wear clothes I wore back in the 70's.  They play with vintage Fisher Price toys.  And you will probably not be surprised to hear that we read them old Golden Books.  I have new books too but there is just something about a old Eloise Wilkins illustrated story that makes me smile.  The stories seem sweeter, the children less obnoxious, the values more simple.  We have over 100 little golden books, many of them old or reproductions of old books.

Some of my favorite books growing up were actually my mother's LGB, or ones my grandmother had at her house.  Books like Nurse Nancy, We Like Kindergarten and Little Mommy.



I have all of those for my daughters as well as quite a few more.  I find them at Thrift Stores, Etsy and garage sales.  My mother is always on the look out as well, in fact we both keep lists of what books I have in our purses so we don't duplicate.



I recently decided that we had too many (including some accidental duplicates) so I listed a few in my Etsy shop.  I'm not an expert (yet) on LGB.  I have learned that first editions have the letter A on the back page and the letters go from there for subsequent editions (but I'm not sure at what letter it stops).  I know that the backs look different on the older ones, but beyond that I'm still learning.


Do you love Golden books too?  Which titles are your favorites?

5 comments:

  1. There was what I thought was an Eloise Wilkin Little golden book at my grandma's house when I was about 4(in 1969)which was a storey about a little girl Keeping house.I distinctly remember one page shows her washing her dolls cloths in a basin using a wooden washing board and hanging them on a line to dry.Can you help bytelling me the name of this book,as I used to love it being read to me,and was fascinated by the washing board.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gennie, I think you are talking about "Little Mommy". I have a link to the book above (2nd paragraph). My mom had that book (she's from the 1940's) and I LOVED reading it at my grandmother's house. I was one of my favorites. We have a newer copy here for my girls too.

      If that one doesn't look right let me know.

      Delete
  2. I have been looking for an old golden book from when I was little (so about 50-55 years ago). It was about a little rabbit whose home was getting too small because of all the other siblings. He goes out looking for something somewhere (maybe talking to other animal families?) but comes back home to find they have built a whole new addition onto the house. Do you have any idea what the book was?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That particular book does not ring a bell but I'll keep a look out and report back if I find out!

      Delete
  3. I remember a story about a little girl who i think had no father and she and her mither go someplace where the mom makes clowns out of scraps of fabric folded into discs then threaded together woth jinglebells fir the hands and feet. Was there a circus? Were they on a train? I can see the pictures plain as day in my head

    ReplyDelete