HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Cooking Wheat Berries - Perfect Salad Topper


Remember wheat berries?  Well we've had more local wheat berries pop up in our CSA boxes and I wanted to share my current favorite way to use them.  It's pretty simple, just soak/cook and then add to salads.  I also froze some to use later.  If you are detail oriented you may have noticed that one of the bags says "Farro Berries" not wheat berries.  I looked up Farro Berries and found that they are from the ancient grain Spelt, which some say is the best grain of them all.  It has higher nutrition than wheat flour and digests easily (works as a wheat alternative - low in gluten).  I haven't cooked mine yet, I'll let you know how the taste compares to the wheat berries.

Cooking Wheat Berries:
Soak wheat berries overnight (crucial!).  Drain and place 1 cup of wheat berries in a pot and add 2 1/2 cups of water.  Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until tender.  Drain and serve warm or refrigerate for use later.  


I cooked 1 lb at a time so that I could measure out 1 cup servings to freeze for later.  You can use wheat berries by itself as a snack, in salads or soups.  They are a great alternative to brown rice or barley.

Another Recipe Option is Wheat Berry and Bean Salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment