HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Crockpot Cilantro Lime Chicken Recipe

You know I love crockpot recipes and this one had great ingredients.  I especially loved that it can be prepared way ahead in the freezer, weeks before cooking if you want!  This would make a perfect meal to give a new mom or sick friend.


Crockpot Cilantro Lime Chicken adapted from octobers morning
Ingredients
2 chicken breasts (about 1.5 lbs)
juice of 2 limes (or 4 Tlbs concentrate)
1 bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
16oz frozen corn (1 bag)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 cups black beans (or 1 can, drained)
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions
Put all of the ingredients in a big freezer bag.  Mix together and close the bag.  Keep in the freezer until you're ready to make it.  Thaw in the refrigerator overnight then place in your crockpot on low for 8 hours.

Serve over rice or in tortillas with your favorite toppings.  We added sour cream to ours.

Note: I don't use canned black beans, I make mine ahead from dry using a crockpot.  I freeze them in "can" amounts for recipes.  To learn how go here.

I was so excited about this recipe, it is perfect for those extra busy days when you want to do the crockpot but don't have the time to get it all ready before you leave for the day.   I also loved the smell when I was putting everything together, the fresh cilantro and the lime were very fragrant.

However, I thought the recipe turned out a little on the dry side and needed a lot of salt!  Next time I might add some more lime or perhaps a can of chopped tomatoes.  Something to give it a little more juice!  I might also check the crockpot and pull it out earlier than 8 hours.

If you make this one please let me now what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment