HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Little Socks



(Little Girls - sung by Miss. Hannigan in Annie)
Little girls
Little girls
Everywhere I turn I can see them
Little girls
Little girls
Night and day
I eat, sleep and breathe them
I'm an ordinary woman
With feelings
I'd like a man to nibble on my ear
But I'll admit
No man has bit
So how come I'm the mother of the year?
Little cheeks
Little teeth
Everything around me is little
If I wring
Little necks
Surely I will get an acquittal
Some women are dripping with diamonds
Some women are dripping with pearls
Lucky me! Lucky me!
Look at what I'm dripping with
Little girls
How I hate
Little shoes
Little socks
And each little bloomer
I'd have cracked
Years ago
If it weren't for my
Sense of humor
Some day
I'll step on their freckles
Some night
I'll straighten their curls
Send a flood
Send the flu
Anything that You can do
To little girls
(reprise)
Some day I'll land in the nut house
With all the nuts and the squirrels
There I'll stay
Tucked away
Until the prohibition of
Little girls.

I am the mother of two beautiful and only moderately messy little girls.  However, I still spend the majority of my days (and nights!) picking up after them.  Of course we try to get them to clean up after themselves, but this usually feels like two steps forward and three steps back.

One of the items that bothers me the most lately are little socks.  I find them everywhere, all over my house.  On the floor, by the door, on the seat, in the couch, in my purse, behind their beds and under furniture (to name a few).

While picking up the socks the song I posted above (and below) often runs through my head.  I was a huge fan of Annie growing up so I know all the songs by heart.  

Although I don't want my little girls to be stepped on, prohibited or tucked away I do look forward to the spring when we switch to sock-less sandals!


2 comments:

  1. We have a 'sock box' in the kitchen where everyone who takes their socks or slippers off needs to put them. Then they are not all over the floor, & I only need to check one place when I am doing laundry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea Sherilyn! I may have to give that one a try. I've asked my oldest to put her socks in one of the hampers but that hasn't worked yet.

      Delete