HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Prepare Ahead Spring Onion "Chives" for Recipes


A couple weeks ago my youngest had a field trip to a local farm.  The kids picked vegetables, pet goats and rode on a "train" made of old metal barrels pulled by a tractor.  You know, typical farm stuff. ;)

One of the vegetables that we picked to take home were spring onions.  Spring onions are a relative of the green onions are wonderful in so many recipes.  The onion base can be used like a scallion or onion in cooking and the tops can be used in similar ways as chives (as long as they aren't too tough and big) although they do not have as strong a flavor.  My family likes them on top of baked potatoes, in soups and on salads.  

I rarely have fresh ones on hand however, I found an easy way to have spring onion "chives" ready to go at any moment.  This recipe can be used with spring onion tops or regular green onions.

It's so simple.  I just wash and then cut the onion stems into tiny pieces with a scissor.  I scoop them into an empty water bottle (or use a funnel) and place them in the freezer.  



When I need green onions for a recipe I simply shake out the amount that I need.  They thaw very quickly and taste fresh!

This particular day I also sliced up the onion bases and put them in a container in the refrigerator.  The next day I used them in a soup recipe, so easy!

So there you go, a simple way to always have green/spring onions on hand.

To grow your own spring or green onions at home (on your counter!!) go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment