HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Monday, April 23, 2012

Growing and storing green onions at home.

I discovered recently via Pinterest that you can grow your own green onions at home.  If you harvest the top of the onions and place the bulbs back into water they miraculously grow again, almost overnight!  All you need to do is keep them in a location that gets some sun and change the water every 2 days or so.

Now I'm going to be honest about something that is somewhat embarrassing.  I didn't know how to properly use green onions.  There I said it.  No, it's true.  I had been cutting and using the bulb part of the onion b/c, well it's the part that looked like an onion!  Believe it or not I had been throwing out most of the green portion of the onion.  Shocking I know.  I had it all backwards.  Ha!

I discovered my faux-pas while researching how to grow them at home.  Ah, the things you can learn from Pinterest and google. :)

Now, back to the onions.  Around the same time I was growing the onions I also saw a great idea on Pinterest about how to store them.  You cut them up and place them in a plastic water bottle, then keep it in your freezer.  When you need some onions you just shake them out.  Perfect and easy!


Here are our onions this weekend after we harvested them (for the 2nd time).  They're back on the counter growing again.  I didn't take a before photo, but you can see how tall they were from what is on the counter.  It took about 2 1/2 weeks for them to get this tall. 

I'd suggest using a sharp kitchen scissor instead of a knife to harvest and slice them, much easier.

The 4 year old wanted to help me so I put her to work putting the pieces into the plastic bottle.  I'm sure there is an easier way (funnel perhaps) but she was having fun and was able to work alongside me as I cut all the pieces.

We now have a full bottle of cut green onions.  I will have to start looking for more recipes with green onions because it will be time to harvest a whole new batch in about 1-2 weeks!  I may never have to purchase green onions again.

No comments:

Post a Comment