HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

What to do when baby gets a cold.

It's that time again, no not Christmas, cold season!  We have colds year round here but they seem to increase in the winter seasons.  I've had 2 in the last month thanks to baby-girl.  I was chatting with some friends this morning about what we do when our babies get sick and here are some of my tried and true suggestions.


 1. Hyland's C-Plus Cold Tablets for Children:  These little homeopathic tablets are amazing.  I give a couple to my baby and it dries up her nose!  Perfect for when we're out and about.  They work up to age 6 so I sometimes give them to my big 5 year old too.
    
2. Baby Chest Rub:  I buy the equate brand (less than $3 on Amazon) but they have other brands as well.  This is another natural product that has Eucalyptus, rosemary and lavender to sooth babies coughs.  A bonus is that unlike the adult version of chest rub this one smells great!


 3. Cool Mist Humidifier: I use the Crane brand and we have a cow. They come in all kinds of cute animals like dogs, ducks, elephants, frogs, etc.  We've had the same one for 5 years now and it still works great!  These are so helpful with baby's breathing at night.  My daughter coughs all night unless we have this going during a cold.  I will even admit to using it in my room when I'm sick too! ;)


4. Saline Spray/Drops: Another simple remedy is saline.  Saline helps to keep all the mucus moving and can be soothing as well.  It can be a challenge to convince baby of this as it's going in however, but if you get in the habit of using it they'll protest less. :)  My 5 year old actually asks for the nose spray when she gets a cold (or allergies) since she knows it feels better.  Just a reminder not to share these between your kids and to toss the bottle once the cold is over.

These are the tried and true remedies for my family.  

What works for your familyl?

No comments:

Post a Comment