HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Carrot Cupcakes for baby (and me too)


We skipped getting a cake last week for my birthday.  I had planned on making these carrot cupcakes but didn't get around to it.  Today seemed like a perfect day since my parents are in town visiting and they could lend a hand.  The recipe is from the book "Cooking for Baby" by Lisa Barnes.  I was drawn to it because I love carrot cake, well I love the frosting and I like the cake. :) I figured that a baby-safe recipe would be perfect because it could double as a meal for the baby.  


I was able to use some of the delicious (and abundant) carrots that we've been getting each week from our CSA.

Carrot Cupcakes
Ingredients
1 orange
6 oz of carrots (about 3-4)
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cup unbleached flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg (I accidentally used 1 tsp and it tasted great)
1/4 tsp salt
6 oz cream cheese (I used 8 oz, the more frosting the better!!)
1/2 cup powdered sugar (I used about 2/3 cup)

1. Preheat oven to 400.  Using the small rasps of a box grater zest an orange.  Measure out 1 tsp zest and set aside.  Squeeze orange and set aside 1 Tbsp juice.
2. Shred carrots using large holes on the box grater.  You should have about 1 1/2 cups.  Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat together oil and sugar until combined, then add eggs, one at a time.  Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and 1 tsp orange zest and beat until combined.  Fold in grated carrots.
4. Line a 12 cup cupcake pan with paper liners.  Spoon batter into each cup, filling half full.  Bake until a toothpick comes out of the center clean, about 15-20 minutes.  Remove cupcakes from pan and let cool on a wire rack while making frosting.
5. In a medium mixing bowl beat cream cheese with a handheld mixer on low speed until smooth and creamy.  Sift powdered sugar over cream cheese and beat until combined.  Add orange juice and beat until creamy.
6. Once cupcakes are cool, top each with a dollop of frosting and smooth it using a table knife or metal spatula.  If desired, garnish each cupcake with a few sprinkles of orange zest (I skipped this part).

To store: Hold cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Makes 12 cupcakes

This recipe would be perfect for a 1st Birthday party.  I wish I had it back when my 4 year old had her 1st birthday.  I spent weeks trying all different organic/homemade cupcake recipes trying to find just the right one.  They turned out okay, but these are much better!

7 comments:

  1. cupcakes taste bitter not sure if the baking soda was the culprit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I've made the recipe twice and it wasn't bitter either time. Check your spices and soda and see if they smell/taste off. Expired perhaps? Or maybe the carrots?

      Sorry it didn't turn out. That's the worst to go through all the trouble and then not be able to eat them.

      Delete
  2. My batter turned into more of a dough. Am I missing something. Is there supposed to be water added to this recipe? I'm going to bake it anyway and see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you remember to add the orange juice that was set aside at the end? Let me know how it turns out. My batter is usually thick but not doughy!

      Delete
    2. I did add the orange zest to the batter. I thought the orange juice was for the frosting. I spread it into a glass baking dish and baked for ten minutes. I wanted to bake a mini three tiered cake. It was really thick, had to spread it flat with my hands, but it turned out great! This was just a test run for a smash cake for my daughters first birthday next week. I will definitely use this recipe.

      Delete
    3. Oh yes, that was for the frosting I forgot! Sorry. Glad it turned out eventually, we loved it for my baby's first. It's been awhile since I made the recipe, time to do it again.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete