HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Magic Cookie Bars

This weekend I was busy making lots of goodies.  I mentioned the magic cookie bars but thought I'd give you the recipe today.  Now, if you live under a rock you may have never heard about Magic Cookie Bars.  Or perhaps you know them by another name, I've heard them called Hello Dolly Bars.  Around here they are known as daddy's favorite bars. :)

They are very simple to make and oh-so-delicious.  We make a standard recipe but with a small twist. Instead of graham cracker crumbs we use Maria cookies.  My mother-in-law made the recipe with Maria cookies so that's what my husband prefers.  I can't always find Maria cookies, but just the other week I saw them at World Market (aka Cost Plus).  

I forgot to take photos when they were fresh, and there was only a tiny section left in the pan today.  But they still look (and taste) good. 

Magic Cookie Bars
Ingredients
1/2 cup of melted butter
1 1/2 cups Maria cookie crumbs (used a blender), can also use graham crackers
14 oz sweetened condensed milk (one can)
1 - 1 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips (original recipe calls for 2 cups)
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
*optional 1 cup chopped nuts

1. Heat oven to 350 (325 for glass).  
2. Combine cookie crumbs and butter.  Press into the bottom of the pan (you can grease the pan if it is prone to stick).  Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumb mixture.  Layer evenly with chocolate chips, coconut and nuts if you used them.  Press down firmly with a fork.
3. Bake 25 minutes or until the coconut is lightly browned.  Cool.  Cut into squares or just eat out of the pan (that's what we do around here).  Store covered at room temperature.  

It's hard to eat just one so you may want to put them out of sight if you are prone to snacking. :)  My husband hid them in the oven.  Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment