HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Van Gogh Alive


Have you heard about Van Gogh Alive?  It is a traveling art "experience" that shows 3000 images of Van Gogh's paintings on huge screens that cover entire walls and also the floor.  While the images change, a beautiful score of classical music plays.  It is an emotionally moving experience.  Along with the paintings there are quotes from and images of Van Gogh's writing.  I did not know that he was such a beautiful writer in addition to a painter.  Here are a few:

There is nothing more truly artistic than to love people. 
Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. 
If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere.

And my favorite:

Close friends are truly life's treasures.  Sometimes they know us better than we know ourselves.  With gentle honesty, they are there to guide and support us, to share our laughter and our tears.  Their presence reminds us that we are never really alone.


I went to the exhibit with my girls and my parents.  We were in the exhibit for about an hour.  There were benches and couches to sit on, or you could just stroll around.  I found a place to sit since my baby needed to eat and I must say it was a beautiful environment for nursing.

My 4 year old was ready to leave the exhibit sooner than we were, but it did keep her interest for some time.  She also entertained herself by dancing around to the music playing.


I've seen some of Van Gogh's paintings in person while visiting France, but seeing them in this scale was a wonderful experience.  It was as if we were surrounded by Van Gogh and the intensity and beauty of his work.  He had such a tragic end to his short life.  Did you know that he painted all 2000 paintings in a 10 year period?  His madness and talent were so intertwined.

Van Gogh Alive is from Australia and Phoenix is the first stop here in the United States.  It is showing thru June 17th at the Arizona Science Center.  I highly recommend checking it out, if you go let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment