HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Sauteed Swiss Chard (with butter and red pepper flakes!)

I've been feeling not-so-great the last couple of days but I was still able to throw together dinner last night.  I bought a roasted chicken and some bread at the store then made the following Swiss Chard recipe that I found here.  I'd planned on making it last time we had chard but instead made the oh-so-tasty swiss chard gratin.  Last night's recipe was just as good, perhaps because yet again it is made with butter.  I've decided that you can't go wrong if you're cooking something with butter!


Sauteed Swiss Chard with pepper flakes
Ingredients
1 1/2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp minced garlic 
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
A bunch of swiss chard (I used the entire bunch from my CSA box)
Salt and/or pepper to taste

Directions
1. Remove the stems from the chard leaves and cut them into 1 inch pieces.  Roll the leaves and cut crosswise into 1/2 inch strips.  Set both aside in separate bowls.
2. Melt the butter with the olive oil and red pepper flakes in a large saute pan (I used my wok pan) over a medium high heat.  Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
3. Next add the cut stem pieces and cook while stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes.
4. Finally add the leafy strips to the pan and toss to coat in the butter mixture.  Cover the pan with a lid and cook for approximately 5-7 minutes or until the leaves are tender.  Stir occasionally while cooking.
5. Lightly season the mixture with salt and pepper before serving.
Enjoy!

I found that the red pepper flakes added quite a kick.  The 4 year old and I drank milk with ours since it was a bit spicy, but we're pretty bad at handling spice.  The husband didn't mention the spice level at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment