HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Monday, March 5, 2012

Garlic Collard Greens

As if roasted turnip chips weren't enough of an adventure I also decided to cook up the collard greens yesterday.  This is a new vegetable for our family so I thought I'd keep it simple.   
The leaves were HUGE and fresh.  

I selected a recipe that I found here called Garlicky Collard Greens.  I prefer to call it Garlic Collard Greens however. 


Garlic Collard Greens
Ingredients
  • 1 pound of collard greens (1 bunch)
  • 2-3 garlic cloves minced
  • 1/2 to 3/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
Directions
  1. Wash the collard greens.  Take a leaf and remove the thick part of the stem.  Roll up the leaf and thinly slice crosswise to make strips.
  2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add garlic and salt and cook stirring until the garlic is just golden and fragrant.
  3. Add the greens and saute 3 to 4 minutes until they are bright green in color and beginning to soften.   
  4. Add more salt or pepper as needed and serve warm.
The collard greens were such a vibrant green color.  I was surprised that they cooked down much like spinach.  The long thin strips were easy to twirl around my fork to eat.  Once again the 4 year old had a bit of a hard time eating them, but my husband and I thought they were good.  This is a recipe I would make again.  Doesn't it look delicious? 

No comments:

Post a Comment