HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Monday, March 26, 2012

Ono with cilantro lemon-butter sauce

I made the best Ono with cilantro butter sauce this weekend.  I had intended on making Ono with a white-wine sauce but it was a bust.  I had tried the same white-wine sauce recipe earlier in the week with salmon, but that was an even bigger bust.

Why try again you may ask?

Good question.  Here's the truth, cooking with wine is a very new endeavor for me.  Before recently I always substituted wine with chicken stock.  Neither my husband or I appreciate the taste of wine (shocking I know, but true) so we don't have it around the house.  I decided to pick up some cooking wine at Trader Joe's after I started cooking more recipes.  I asked for recommendations and they suggested I use the cheapest stuff ($2 a bottle).

Fast forward to this last week.  I pulled the white wine out of the fridge and I'm guessing that it was way expired.  I'm not even sure but all I know is that the white-wine sauce (which came highly recommended by reviewers) was beyond disgusting.

I tried again after buying a new bottle of wine but it still tasted pretty bad, although not as bad as the other batch. My guess is that we just don't appreciate the taste of white-wine sauces.  That or you need a different/better wine for this recipe.  Feel free to chime in if you have any words of wisdom on this subject.

Now back to the good sauce.  After the second batch was a bust I whipped together a quick lemon-butter sauce that tasted amazing.  Why have I not done this before?  I highly recommend giving it a whirl if you haven't experimented with butter sauces.


Ono with Cilantro Lemon-Butter Sauce
Bake Ono at 450 degrees for approximately 15 minutes.


Sauce Ingredients
3 Tbsp butter - melted
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp chopped fresh cilantro

Mix together all the ingredients.  Break up the fish and pour the sauce over it.  I recommend an Ono, Ahi or Mahi but you could try it on other fish as well.  You could also try using different herbs, perhaps parsley or chives in the sauce.

How easy is that?  I found my Ono at Costco by the way.  It was reasonably priced and the fillets have not disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment