HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Monday, March 5, 2012

Roasted Turnip Chips

Lots of greens appeared in my kitchen after this weekend's Chow Locally CSA.  Today I dug in and started with the collard greens and turnips.  I'll write about the collard greens later today, but let me tell you first about the turnips.

Since anything with the word fries or chips added seems to go over better in this house I decided to make turnip fries.  However, the very cute little turnips were too small for fries so I switched to chips.

I adjusted a couple recipes to make these chips.  They took some time to get crispy enough for my family (and note that they weren't ever crispy like a potato chip), but were worth the wait.  The husband and I appreciated them more than the 4 year old, but that's pretty typical of most veggies these days.

Roasted Turnip Chips
Ingredients
  • Turnips sliced thin (I used 5 small)
  • 1/4 tsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp garlic flakes  
  • 1/4 tsp onion flakes  
  • Sea salt to taste
  • 1 1/2 - 2 Tbsp olive oil 
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350
  2. Cover a baking sheet with foil.
  3. Slice the turnips thin, the thinner they are the crispier they will be. 
  4. Put the slices in a large mixing bowl and add the olive oil.  Massage the oil in to coat all the pieces.
  5. In a small bowl combine the spices.  Then add to the larger bowl and mix to evenly coat.
  6. Put the slices on the baking sheet and bake for 30-50 minutes flipping every 10 minutes or so.  Remove from the oven when they look crisp enough for your liking.
If you don't have garlic and onion flakes you could also use powder.  Make sure to go easy on the olive oil so they don't get too soggy.

Stay tuned for my experiment with collard greens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment