HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Radicchio & Spinach Salad with Mushrooms & Sunflower Seeds

Yesterday I picked up our Chow Locally CSA box.  I'd missed a couple weeks because of travel so was happy to see all of the green again.  I was also very happy that they'd arranged a new pick up in my area, a pick up that happens to be at a local coffee shop.  Organic veggies and fresh iced-coffee?  Yes please!

As usual the box included some veggies that were new to me, or at least ones I haven't cooked with before.  This time the UV (unidentified vegetables) were french breakfast radishes, radicchio and a braising mix.  I decided to jump right in and use the radicchio for dinner.

This radicchio was a green variety rather than the more typical purple.  It looked more like a cross between chard and kale.  According to my Chow Locally fact sheet radicchio is full of antioxidants, fiber, vitamin C & A and minerals.  

After a little googling I chose a Radicchio and Spinach salad.  The radicchio is a bitter leaf, but the dressing made it just right.  If you remember from my post where I shared my favorite (and very popular) buttermilk ranch recipe I am very particular about dressings.  The dressing for this recipe was light and not too sweet.  I found the dressing recipe here btw. 


Radicchio & Spinach Salad with Mushrooms & Sunflower Seeds
Ingredients
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 oz spinach (I used baby)
1 medium sized head of radicchio torn into bite sized pieces
4 oz of mushrooms - sliced
1 green onion - minced
1/4 cup sunflower seeds (I did roasted and salted)

Directions
1. Whisk the first three ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Gradually whisk in oil.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Combine radicchio, spinach and all remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
4. Add dressing to taste, toss to coat.  I prefer to add dressing with salad on my plate, but you could mix the entire bowl as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment