HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Buttermilk Ranch Dressing

After yesterday's big box of CSA vegetables I had to strategize how to prepare them.  After seeing all the many greens in there I decided I'd better start with some ranch dressing.


I've mentioned this dressing before but I thought I'd add the recipe this time.  I am a huge fan of ranch but can't stand the store bought kind.  Fresh ranch is the only way I like it.  This recipe is pretty simple, you just throw everything in a blender.  We use it for dipping or dressing.  It lasts about 2 weeks in the refrigerator.  See foodiebride for original recipe.

Ingredients
3/4 cup mayonaise (or vegenaise)
3/4 cup sour cream
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 to 1 cup buttermilk (I used 1/2 a cup)
1 small bunch of chives roughly chopped
small handful of parsley
1 clove of garlic
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper

Place all of the ingredients in the blender and mix until it's the consistency you prefer (about 10 seconds).  If you want a thicker dip use less buttermilk (1/4 cup), use more for a dressing consistency.

For dinner last night we had salads using the bright and tasty salad mix and my fresh ranch dressing.  The 4 year old dipped carrots in the dressing and actually asked for more.  Success!

Tonight I plan on preparing the Purple Kohlrabi.  This is a first for our family, I'll let you know how it turns out.

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to try this! I just tried a different one from Pinterest and it was not good! You could pin this....I wanted a recipe I could use vegenaise with. Have you used vegenaise for this before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pinned it back when I first posted about it and it was pretty popular. :) And yes, I've used vegenaise with it every time I think and it's turned out perfectly! One time my husband said there was too much garlic (since it's raw it can be spicy) but otherwise it's a big hit around here.

    ReplyDelete