HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Hummus from dried (or canned) Chickpeas


I made my first batch of hummus today in my brand-new Christmas present, a 9 cup Cuisinart Prep 9 DLC-2009CHB food processor.  How is this possible on December 23rd you may ask?  Well, I have a confession.  In my family we open Christmas presents early, this year it was on the 22nd.  The longest we've made it is till the 24th.  Why you may ask?  Only because we can't wait.  Ha!



So I decided to christen my new machine by making hummus which is usually gobbled up by myself and my children.  Today of course the baby shook her head no, but I'm not taking it personally, she'll want it tomorrow.

I made this recipe using dried chickpeas/garbanzo beans from a local heirloom farm.  However, you could use canned as well.  To use dried chickpeas simply soak them overnight in a bowl.  Rinse and drain then boil/simmer on the stove (covered in fresh water) for 1-1 1/2 hours until fork tender.



Basic Hummus (garlic and lemon)
Ingredients
4 garlic cloves, peeled
4 cups drained cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans) or you can used canned
Some of the liquid from boiling the garbanzo beans (or from the can)
2 teaspoons cumin
Pinch of ground coriander
5 tablespoons tahini (I found mine at Trader Joe's)
Juice of three large lemons
3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more if you need it
Optional: Paprika sprinkled as a garnish

Instructions
Using a Food processor (or blender) puree all the ingredients until it’s creamy, it may take longer than you think.  You can add the cooking liquid or additional olive oil (or lemon juice) to make it the consistency that you prefer.  Also add salt to taste.

That's it!  We used ours as a dip for dinner with fresh veggies and pita chips.  The baby normally eats it plain by the spoonful!

Now, what to make next with my new lovely Cuisinart?  Any recipe recommendations for me?

If you want your own Cuisinart check out Amazon, you could even get it for Christmas. You know, if you're one of those people that wait until the 25th. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment