HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Friday, July 8, 2016

Fresh Pineapple Pie

I have a confession to make, I didn't know until last week that Pineapple Pie was even a thing.  I'd never heard of it let alone tasted one!  


My Mother-in-law's Pineapple Pie

My talented mother-in-law made us a fresh (completely from scratch) pineapple pie during our last visit and when she told me the flavor I did a double take and asked "pineapple"?  I'd heard of Pineapple Upside Down Cake but never a pie.

But guess what, it's delicious.  Ah, the mixture of tart pineapple with rich crust and some creamy vanilla ice-cream on the side to cut the tart...perfection!



I loved it so much that I asked my MIL for her recipe and made a pie this week while visiting my family.  I brought my dad a piece and he went on and on about how much he loved it and how "smart" I was. :) My dad has Alzheimer's so this pie brought me a beautiful memory with my dad!

So if you've never had a (fresh) Pineapple Pie before you must make it.  It is really quite easy, the only time consuming part was cutting the pineapple.

Let me know what you think!

Fresh Pineapple (2 crust) Pie

Ingredients
2 eggs slightly beaten
1 1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2-3 cups diced (or shredded) fresh pineapple (almost 1 whole pineapple)
1 Tbsp cornstarch

Instructions
Combine the above ingredients.  Put mixture in uncooked pie shell (freshly made or store bought).  Leave dots of butter on top (I left about 8 pea sized pieces).  Cover with second crust.  Bake 10 minutes at 450, then at 350 until done (about 35 minutes).

*I added about a teaspoon of milk to the top crust and spread it around then sprinkled sugar on top (before baking).  That was how my grandmother made pies. :)


My Pineapple Pie

Note: I didn't include cornstarch in my pie and it turned out delicious but a bit runny.  I checked with my MIL and learned that I should have added the 1 Tbsp of cornstarch to help thicken.  Next time I'll get it right!

No comments:

Post a Comment