HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Orzo Tomato Spinach Soup Recipe

I've been in the Fall spirit lately and finally, finally the weather outside here in Phoenix is starting to resemble Fall.  Well, that or we'd better build another Ark thanks to all the rain, hail and flooding but the temperatures are dropping so I'll take it!



I've been wanting to try this recipe from the blog the Little Spice Jar.  I made a few changes to work with the ingredients (and patience) that I had on hand, the recipe below is my version.  It turned out super although I think next time I'll cook the pasta separately and add it to the broth to keep it from turning into a pasta casserole the next day!

Orzo Tomato Spinach Soup
Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
1¼ cup carrots, sliced into ½ inch rounds
1 cup celery
6 cloves garlic, diced
7 cups of chicken stock (or vegetable)
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup diced fresh basil
1½ cups orzo (whole wheat or regular)
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon oregano
3 cups baby spinach, packed
salt and black pepper to taste

Directions

Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute them for 4-5 minutes until they get soft. Add the carrots, celery, garlic and continue to saute for an additional 5-7 minutes. Add the stock, along with the tomatoes, basil, orzo, thyme, Italian seasoning, and oregano, stir to combine. Reduce the heat to medium and let the orzo pasta cook to al-dente, about 10 minutes, stir occasionally. Just before serving, add the baby spinach and continue to cook for 1 minutes or until the spinach gets nice and bright green and wilts down. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm.

Note: Next time I'll cook the veggies separately from the pasta.  I prefer my carrots tender and 10 minutes was not enough time for them to be soft.  It took about 30 minutes so the pasta cooked longer than necessary and soaked up too much fluid.  It still tasted great but was more pasta dish than soup by the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment