HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Thursday, May 10, 2012

My despite-the-odds tomato plant.

I have a confession.  I am not a gardener.  In fact, one could argue that I have a black thumb rather than a green one.  I love plants and often make attempts to grow them.  But they usually end up in the same place, the trash can. ;)

Late last spring I had the great idea to do a container garden.  I thought I could handle 2 plants so I selected tomatoes (with some guidance from friends).  However, my poor little plants didn't stand a chance b/c I planted them too late.  They withered in the hot sun and what sad little tomatoes did appear were quickly eaten by thirsty and annoying birds.  It was a major fail.

My husband commandeered the pot (and dripper that went with it) and planted some lovely dessert daisies in there instead.  Fast forward a few months and guess what appeared in the pot this spring.

One of the tomato plants survived and made a comeback.

Three sweet little tomatoes have grown on this plant.  I picked the first one yesterday.  Perhaps there is hope for my thumbs after all!  Next fall I think I'll try a container garden again.

No comments:

Post a Comment