HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Monday, February 18, 2013

Downton Abbey - Season 3 Finale


Can we chat about Downton Abbey for just a bit?  If you haven't seen Season 3 or the finale then stop reading right now and come back after you've seen it.


You were warned, so no spoiler complaints.

As you know I am a fan.  I've blogged about my obsession interest a few times now.  I like to see myself as a tried-and-true fan but this season has tested me.  At times I have referred to it as "Downer Abbey" thanks to the unfortunate plot twists.  I think I prefer the lighter period and social class issues to the tragic deaths.  Anyone else?

But this Season Finale was the worst.  I had the advantage of knowing ahead what would happen at the end, otherwise I might have been horribly shocked like the many throngs of irate British fans who saw it first.  Of course they also had the disadvantage of watching this unfortunate episode right before Christmas as it was promoted as a Holiday special.  Talk about a bummer, the season ending with the death of a favorite and primary character!

I have done some behind-the-scenes reading so I learned that the reason for his removal from the show (and Sybil's too) was their wanting to leave the show.  They both believed there were greener pastures elsewhere.  Can you imagine?  Wanting to leave such a popular show?  Boggles the mind.

Bottom line, I'm not as excited about Season 4.  I can't imagine how this show will work without Matthew.  How can it not be a huge sad show week after week dealing with all the grief and loss?

Perhaps they will skip ahead a few years to avoid it?

Is anyone else oh-so disappointed?

No comments:

Post a Comment