Friday, March 18, 2016

Fisher Price Friday - I'd Like to Teach the World To Sing


In honor of St Patrick's Day yesterday I thought I'd share a green toy for Fisher Price Friday. :)  It's the Pocket Radio Music Box I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing #766 made between 1977-1978.

Although I did not have this toy as a child it was from my time (made the year I was born) and the song brings back many memories.  I recall singing this very song in a Community Theater production with a bunch of other kids in middle school.  Ah memories.


The music box has a green plastic front and the wooden back is covered with mostly yellow lithographs.  It is held with a white and red vinyl strap.


My music box is a little worn but you can see that the bottom has the toy number and Fisher Price info.  Looks like this beauty was made in the USA but the movements inside were from Japan.

The left side of the box has pictures of flowers, a tool box (with handsaw), a bumble bee and a bright sun. The right side shows a beehive on a bench (handy) and a few bees buzzing around.


The pictures that scroll across the screen as the music plays include a pink house that has the sign "Love" on it having the roof repaired, a happy earth, children singing, the beehive with a bee keeper, another happy singing earth being kissed by white doves (I kid you not) and also the words "I'd like to teach the world to sing".

It's a very hippy, earth-hugging kind of toy!


I'd like to build the world a home
and furnish it with love,
Grow apple trees
and honey bees
and snow white turtle doves.

(Although I won't blame you if you sing in your head: "I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony, I'd like to buy the world a Coke and keep it company. That's the real thing." when you hear the music).



For More Music Boxes Check Out:

No comments:

Post a Comment