HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Monday, July 30, 2012

Luscious Lemon Ice Cream Recipe


It's time for another ice-cream recipe!  My 4 year old requested lemon (can I say that I love that she wanted lemon, that's my girl!) so I put a few recipes together to make this one.  It has that perfect combo of sweet and tart.  I will admit however that I have yet to try an ice-cream recipe that I didn't love.  How can you not like heavy cream, sugar and fresh ingredients?  Yum!



This ice-cream was especially fabulous with a few fresh raspberries on top.  Doesn't that look amazing?  Is it time for dessert yet?

Luscious Lemon Ice Cream
1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs (I had jumbo)
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Instructions
In a saucepan whisk together the zest, lemon juice, sugar and the eggs.  Combine the heavy cream and milk (I used a 2 cup measuring cup) and whisk 1 cup of it and the vanilla into the saucepan.  Cook the mixture over moderately high heat, whisking constantly until it just comes to a simmer. Strain the custard through a fine sieve into a bowl, pressing hard on the zest and chill it covered with plastic wrap until it is cold.  Whisk in the remaining 1 cup milk/heavy cream mixture and freeze the mixture in an ice-cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.  Makes about 1 quart.

ETA: Remember when I told you about adding interesting toppings to ice-cream?  One of them was Meringue cookies from Trader Joe's.  I had the BEST idea tonight.  Crumble up a couple of those cookies on the luscious lemon ice-cream and you have lemon meringue!  I am eating a bite of this combo at this exact second. :)

1 comment: