HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Chicken with Chickpeas and Olives Recipe

Last night I was looking for a recipe to use up the Chickpeas I'd cooked up from a recent CSA box.  I'd used about 1/2 of the package making roasted chickpeas (look here for that recipe, crazy good my 1 year old eats them like candy), and had about 16oz left.  The rest of the ingredients were in my pantry or refrigerator so it seemed like a great one to try.  The recipe came from Fitness magazine and was called Chicken Tagine with Olives.  I preferred to reference the chickpeas. :)



Chicken with Chickpeas and Olives 
Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon minced ginger (I used 1/4 tsp ground ginger since I didn't have fresh)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/4 cup coarsely chopped pitted kalamata olives
*optional: 1/3 cup raisins
10 ounces cooked chicken breast, diced (about 2 cups)
15 ounce cooked chickpeas (or 1 can, drained and rinsed)

Directions
1. Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat.  Add the ginger, onion, cumin and cinnamon and cook 4-5 minutes stirring frequently.
2. Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, peas, olives and raisins (we skipped this part).  Simmer 7 to 8 minutes.
3. Add the chicken and chickpeas, cook 3-4 minutes or until chicken and chickpeas are heated through.

Note: To cook the chicken quickly use the poaching method. Place the chicken breasts in a pan with 2-3 cups water.  Cover the pot and cook for 9-12 minutes or until no longer pink inside.  Easy peasy!

Looks good right?  So healthy it almost makes up for the fudge covered in heavy cream I had for dessert last night.  What?  You don't cover your fudge in heavy cream before eating it?  You are missing out. :)  Ha!

2 comments:

  1. This looks fabulous. I actually went out and purchased a ton of dried chickpeas only to find out we were getting more last week! Try the roasted ones on a salad, delicious.

    And heavy cream on your fudge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we put the roasted ones on a salad the first day I made it. Yummy! Then we just ate them by themselves. The baby seriously pounded them!

      As for the fudge/cream combo oh yes, I like to invent even more fatty/unhealthy ways to enjoy my desserts. Next thing you know I'll be deep frying the fudge. Ha!

      Delete