HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Sugar Cookie Bars Recipe

Pinterest is a dangerous place.  First I found a quick fudge recipe and now this.  I saw photos of these cookies and had to have them.  Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it) this recipe was so easy I could make it while making dinner.  That's right, I made dinner and dessert at the same time.  I am a miracle worker I tell you. ;)  The cookies were easy since I didn't have to take the time to roll them out and make shapes.

I recommend that you make these cookies when you have people to share them with.  Under no circumstances should you make them when your significant other is out of town or on a diet.  Trust me.  Give some away.  Your hips and rear will thank me later.


Sugar Cookie Bars
Cookie Ingredients: 
 2-1/2 cups flour (I used wheat flour from our CSA)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1-1/2 Tbsp. sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.  I used a glass dish and greased it with a little coconut oil.
2. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.
3. In a large bowl (I used my kitchenaid mixer) cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Add egg and combine well.  Add the sour cream and vanilla and mix until completely blended.
4. Slowly add the flour mixture and stir until well combined.
5. Gently press the cookie dough into the baking dish and spread out with hands.  Try hard not to eat the dough first.  Ha!
6. Bake 17-20 minutes, until edges become lightly golden.  Set aside to cool completely.

Frosting Ingredients: 
1/2 cup butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup half and half
1 tsp. vanilla
Pinch of salt

Directions: 
1. In a medium bowl, cream together butter, powdered sugar, and half and half until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla and salt, combine well.
2. Frost your (completely) cooled cookie bars. Cut into squares and serve.

I found that the cookies were even better the 2nd day.  I will warn you again that they are difficult to stay away from.  I may have had 4 (or 5) last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment