HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Coconut Banana Bread with Lemon Glaze Recipe

My 5 year old has been bugging me lately for banana bread.  I never seem to have enough mushy bananas around though because the baby and I eat so many!  However, today I had enough bananas so I did a little recipe research to find something new.  I was inspired by a couple different recipes and changed a few things to make my own version.



















Now this is not just any banana bread.  This is AMAZING banana bread.  Heck, it has coconut and a lemon glaze!  My husband hates banana bread and he couldn't get enough of this.  He actually told me (unsolicited) that this is the best sweet bread he has ever had.

Without further adieu, here is the recipe:

Coconut Banana Bread with Lemon Glaze 
2 cup flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup (4 Tbsp) real butter, softened
2 large eggs
4 large bananas, mashed
1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
2 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup shredded coconut
Topping: 2 Tbsp additional coconut
Glaze: 1/2 cup powdered sugar whisked with 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until blended (I did this by hand but you could use a mixer). Add eggs and beat to combine. Add banana, sour cream, milk, and vanilla. Beat until blended. Add flour mixture and beat until just combined. Stir in 1/2 cup coconut.
3. Pour batter into a 9×5″ loaf pan that has been greased with coconut oil. Sprinkle additional 2 Tbsp coconut on top. Bake in the oven for about 1 hour or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Note: Check bread after about 40 minutes. If the top has browned and the coconut pieces are looking toasty, cover top of bread lightly with a piece of foil. Continue baking until done. When done, remove pan from oven. Let cool on a cooling rack for about 10 minutes and then carefully remove from pan.
4. Whisk powdered sugar and lemon juice together for the glaze and then drizzle over top. Cool for another 15 minutes before slicing.

In the interest of full disclosure I did not follow my own directions at the end.  I did not wait another 15 minutes before slicing.  I cut into that beauty as soon as I finished taking these photos!  I took my slice and added a little (a lot?) of butter and it was heaven on a plate.


My sweet dog wishes he could have had a slice!

Isn't it beautiful?

No comments:

Post a Comment