HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Roasted Okra and other recipes from this week.

As you know this week I made Kale Chips and banana pear teething biscuits.  I also made a lovely oven baked sweet banana oatmeal that I found on the frugal girls.  The oatmeal was easy to make but it took lots of patience to wait for, as the cooking time was an hour all together.

Baked Sweet Banana Oatmeal

I'd say it was worth the wait.

My daughter and husband preferred it with milk on top.  I will admit that I added whip cream to mine.

Roasted Okra
Last night I made my husband almost a pound of roasted okra.  Okra is one of his favorite vegetables but I can count on one hand how many times I've made it for him in the last 8 years.  Why the kibosh on okra you may ask?  Well, I found it to be difficult, messy (slimy) and icky.  That's putting it mildly.  Part of the problem is that the recipes he was accustomed to were breaded.  This of course could be very time consuming and difficult.  

So I just avoided the little slimy bugger.  

But recently after reading about all the nutritional benefits of okra and finding a new recipe I thought I'd give it another try.  This time it was easy and I didn't even mind the taste.  That's saying something!  Now everyone is happy.  Even the four year old ate some.


Ingredients
  • 1 pound of fresh okra, sliced 1/3 inch thick.
  • Olive oil
  • Salt (I recommend sea salt) to taste
  • Black pepper, to taste
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425
  2. Arrange the okra slices in one layer on a foil lined cookie sheet.
  3. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until brown and toasty.  We prefer it more on the toasty/crisp side.
Easy Crock pot Pot Roast
Right now my house smells amazing because this morning we put a pot roast in the crock pot.  It has been cooking for the last few hours and I can't wait to eat it.  I found the recipe here.  I'll update with a photo if it looks and tastes as good as it smells.

ETA: It did taste as good as it smelled and here's how it looked.
My husband said it was his favorite pot roast to date so I'll be making this one again soon.  

I still haven't gotten around to making the yummy looking sea salt and nutella sugar cookies, maybe next week. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment