HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Friday, June 10, 2016

Fisher Price Friday - What's In My Pockets? A Surprise Cloth Book


Today I have a book to share, but this one is special.  What's in My Pockets #179 a Surprise Cloth Book for Girls was made from 1972-1974. This colorful cloth book has more than just sweet pictures; each page has an activity to practice zippers, velcro, snaps, etc. And if that wasn't enough excitement it comes with eight plastic coins to place in each of the pockets. 

 There were two versions of What's in my Pockets, this "girl" version and a boy version. The boy version is also cloth and came out a year before the girl version.

The eight coins have lithographs on each one showing a different object. They are red, yellow, blue and green. 

The coins pictured include: 

Red - Green Ribbon
Yellow - Doll
Red - Green Comb
Green - Ring
Blue - Hankie (so cute and pink w/lace)
Yellow - Key w/chain

There are two more coins that I haven't found yet but am still on the hunt for.  I am missing the ice cream cone (blue) and one with 3 coins (green).

The backs of the coins have the FP logo stamped inside with a texture around the letters and a raised rim. They are unlike any of the other much thicker Fisher Price coins that came with toys like the Cash Register.

The book is made of a heavy duty yet soft cotton material. The fabric is colorfast which is clearly working quite well as the colors are vivid despite its 40+ years! It is also listed as washable although I haven't been brave enough to give that a try! The front cover recommends that it is "FOR GIRLS Ages 2-6". 

Both of my girls have loved playing with these books although I continue to be reluctant to let my youngest play with them unless I'm close by.  The coins are super easy to get misplaced (trust me I keep finding them in odd places around my house) and man oh man they are hard to replace.  I've been looking for my 2 missing coins online for years and still haven't found them (for a price I'm willing to pay).

Now back to the book, it has 10 pages total with 8 of them having text written on them. 
PATCH POCKET
My patch pocket is just a patch
To make a handy pocket.
It can be used for many things
From hankies to a locket.

BUTTON POCKET
The pockets on my raincoat
Are made in a special way
To keep my treasures nice and dry
When out on a rainy day.


ZIPPER POCKET
When I stand upon my head
And throw myself about
The zipper keeps my pocket shut
Stops things from falling out.


SLASH POCKET
A place to keep my favorite toy
My comb and velvet bands
It's big enough to do all that
And warm my chilly hands.

This is my
STICKY POCKET
It sticks so nice and tight.
Can you tell me what is in it
Find out if you are right.


Check out the velcro on the little "purse".  Ours looks brand new!

This is my SNAP POCKET
It makes a happy, snappy sound
When you discover what it holds,
Tell me what you've found.


I can see it in the morning,
I can see it at bedtime too.
If my HIP POCKET
was in the front,
I could look in there with you.

(I love love this page, it's my favorite.  How cute is the little girl with her outfit and funny words?  I am also partial to hip/back pockets since my husband proposed by slipping an engagement ring into my back pocket).

I have a SECRET POCKET
For things I like to hide
Can you find my secret pocket
And what it has inside?


Here are the two What's in my Pockets? books.  For a closer look at What's in my POCKETS? A Surprise cloth book for boys #178 go here.

3 comments:

  1. I owned this. Just seeing it brings tears to my eyes. I learned how to sew buttons with this book, my dad taught me. I always thought it was the best thing ever and still do. When people ask about my favorite thing as a kid, this is THE answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad these photos brought back happy memories for you! It really is a sweet little cloth book. :)

      Delete
  2. I have this. I believe a complete set.

    ReplyDelete