HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Sending pretty packages, aka - how to reuse envelopes and boxes.

I am a bit of a re-user.  I come from a long line of re-users.  For example, my mother saves the produce bags from the grocery store by winding them on (old) paper towel holders and then reuses them.  She was into reuse-recycle before it was popular. ;)

So I have a tendency to want to reuse items rather than toss them.  In this case mailing envelopes and boxes.  I used to just painstakingly tear off the prior labels and cross off the words on boxes or envelopes and then attach my own labels.  But then one day I had the bright idea to decorate the envelopes with pretty papers to match the theme of what I was mailing.  Whether it be Christmas, new baby, birthdays, etc.


Today I mailed two baby related gifts.  I blocked off the addresses by putting paper over them but you can get the idea.

Here's what I do.  

Step 1: Start with a used envelope.  Take off any easy to remove stickers if you want or just leave them on.
Step 2: Cut out pages from magazines, catalogues or even the coupon inserts from the Sunday paper.  My favorites are travel magazines and kids catalogues (Pottery Barn Kids or The Land of Nod).  J.Crew is a great resource too.
Step 3: Size the pages to fit the majority (or at least the written/stamped on parts) of the envelope or box.  Make sure to have a part for the return address.
Step 4: Use a blank 3x5 card or a white section of a magazine to use for the address and return address.  Sometimes you can write directly on the photos if they aren't too busy.  I was able to do this in the package with the baby on it that I sent this morning.  Then use clear packing tape to tape the pieces and address label parts to the package.  Step 5: Fill your package and impress the Post Office workers and all your friends.

I checked with the local PO and they assured me that sending decorative packages is just fine.  As long as the addresses are clear and easy to read you are good to go.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. Well what can I say is that these is an interesting and very informative topic on package envelope

    ReplyDelete