HomeVintage Fisher PriceMy Etsy ShopCategoriesAbout

Monday, November 19, 2012

Can't go wrong Slow Cooker Potato Soup Recipe

I have my friend Kymm to thank for this simple, can't go wrong potato soup recipe.  She featured it on her blog the other week and it looked like my kind of meal.  However, it takes 8 hrs to cook and I kept forgetting to get it started early enough in the morning.  So yesterday before church I decided this was the day.  Sure, we only had 20 minutes before we had to leave and we were still in our pajamas but I didn't let that stop me.

I started peeling the potatoes and my husband informed me that I would never be done in time (he was right).  So I threw caution to the wind and just cut them up in chunks and threw them in.  We managed to only be a little late to church. ;)  Then in the afternoon about an hour before the soup would have been done we decided to make a last-minute trip out to the new outlet mall.  I threw caution to the wind again and turned the crock pot to warm (it had 45 minutes left on it).  4 (yes 4!!!) hours later we returned home hungry, cold (well sort of) and tired.  I was sure the soup would have dried out to nothing but I went ahead and added the last ingredient (cream/milk) and made some bacon in the microwave.  

Would you believe the soup was just fine?  In fact not just fine but REALLY really good.  Everyone loved it from the baby to the husband.  We garnished it with the bacon as well as shredded cheese and some green onions.  The potato skins added great texture (and probably flavor) and the big chunks of potato mostly melted down anyway.  It was such a great surprise after our long day out.  

So this recipe is great and can't be messed up in my opinion.  Put it in and forget it, mine was in there for 12 hours!  Here is the slightly changed recipe as I made it.


Can't Go Wrong Slow Cooker Potato Soup
Ingredients
4 lbs red potato, roughly cut into chunks
1 large onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 32oz box of chicken stock
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup heavy cream & 1 cup milk (or 2 cups half and half)
Optional toppings: bacon, shredded cheese, sliced green onions

Directions
Place potatoes, onions and garlic in slow cooker. Pour chicken stock over top. Add salt and pepper. Cover and let cook on low for 8-12 hours. After 8-12 hours add cream/milk (or half & half). Stir, add additional salt to taste, add toppings and eat!

You are welcome. :)  To see the original less caution-to-the-wind recipe go here.

2 comments: